The United States of America has replied Nigeria’s former President (Goodluck Jonathan)’s accusations. The US government communicated this through the US Embassy spokesperson in Nigeria, Russel Brooks on Wednesday.
Following Goodluck Jonathan’s sudden outburst about the US Government under the administration of Barack Obama was hell bent on kicking him out of office back in 2015, Brooks had come out to debunk such claim insisting that President Muhammadu’s victory at the 2015 presidential election was outrightly the will of the Nigerian electorates.
Earlier this week, Jonathan said,
“President Barack Obama and his officials made it very clear to me by their actions that they wanted a change of government in Nigeria and we’re ready to do anything to achieve that purpose.
“They even brought some naval ships into the Gulf of Guinea in the days preceding the election.
“I got on well with Prime Minister David Cameron but at some point, I noticed that the Americans were putting pressure on him and he had to join them against me.
“But I didn’t realise how far President Obama was prepared to go to remove me until France caved in to the pressure from America.
“But weeks to the election, he had also joined the Americans in supporting the opposition against me.”
These were the statements of the former president indicting the US and Allies. In response to the accusations, Brooks categorically stated that America only advocates for free and fair elections anywhere in the world and would go any lenght to protect it. The outcome of such transparent election is but the will of the people.
“The US advocated a free, fair and transparent election. The election outcome was an expression of the will of the Nigerian people,” Brooks said.
Recall that Goodluck Jonathan lost the 2015 general election as a sitting president in a keenly contested atmosphere. He became a relative Hero by doing the African unthinkable – Conceeding to defeat even before the announcement of the official election result for peace to reign in the nation.